Pages

Sunday 18 March 2012

San Francisco

I am just coming to the end of my 5 days in San Francisco and boy have I crammed in a lot! I flew in from sunshine, blue sea and white sand to rain, wind and fog...but that didn't put a dampener on my time here! I crammed a lot into my 5 days and managed to see and do almost everything I wanted to do. The only thing I didn't manage to squeeze in was a ride on the cable car, as the day I went the line up was crazy so I decided to pass. Here are some of the things I got upto:

Alcatraz:
I would definitely recommend a trip to Alcatraz and my advice would be to book your ticket online in advance. The trip is very popular and can sell out quickly. The tour costs $26 for an adult and includes an audio tour once you are inside the jailhouse. It also includes a short documentary film and the ferry there and back, so I think this is very good value. The audio tour is really interesting and you hear stories from inmates and wardens who were at alcatraz during its time as a federal prison. You hear stories about 'famous' inmates such as Al Capone and also of the escapes from Alcatraz. I spent about 2 hours on the Island in total, however you can spend as much or as little time as you want exploring the Island and Jailhouse.

Fisherman's Wharf & Pier 39:
Fisherman's Wharf & Pier 39 are very touristy areas full of chain restaurants and novelty shops, however I think its worth a visit. The walk along the wharf is really nice, especially if you head up to Fort Mason (which is away from the touristy stuff.) Go and see the Sealions at pier 39!

Bike The Bridge:
A must do is to cycle over the Golden Gate Bridge to Saulsolito! This was my favourite day of my stay here in San Francisco! It was the first day the sun was shining since I arrived and it was the perfect day to cycle over the bridge. I rented my bike with Blazing Saddles who have a deal with the Hostelling International Downtown hostel. It was $18 for the day and included the bike, a helmet and a lock. I paid an additional $4 to insure the bike for any accidental damage and I also bought my ferry ticket back from Saulsolito for about $10. The bike ride was amazing, and the views all the way from start to finish were incredible. I was also lucky enough to spot a couple of Dolphins as I was crossing the bridge!

Have Lunch in China Town:
Go and explore China Town and eat Dim Sum. Its yummy and its ridiculously cheap! I found a place serving Dim Sum off the main street which was full of locals, rather than the touristy places on the main street. It cost me about $2 for a BBQ pork bun, a Chicken bun and a green onion flat bread. It was delicious and a gigantic portion that was big enough for 2!

Vintage Shopping in The Mission & Haight Ashbury:
I am a self confessed dress addict, shopaholic and lover of vintage & thrift shops! The shopping in San Francisco was amazing and I spent a whole day hunting down quirky stores and thrift shops in The Mission & Haight Ashbury districts. Firstly I went to The Mission where I stared at Mission and 16th and walked up to Mission and 24th. I then crossed over to Valencia St and walked down to Valencia & 16th. You can then catch the 22 bus on 16th to Haight st and transfer to the 71 bus which will take you along Haight to Masonic Ave. From there walk down Haight St and check out all the amazing shops along the way. I found that the Mission was a lot cheaper thrift stores whereas Haight Ashbury was more vintage shops which had selected more specific items and were more pricey. There are also a lot of really nice boutiques in the Haight Ashbury area! Shopaholics hide your credit cards because San Francisco's shops are waiting for ya!

A small selection of shops to check out:
-Thrift Town: 2101 Mission St.
-Mission Thrift: 2330 Mission St.
-Painted Bird: 1360 Valencia St.
-Community Thrift Store: 623 Valencia St.
-Buffalo Exchange: 1210 Valencia St. & 1555 Haight St.
-Ambiance: 1458 Haight St. at Masonic

The Food:
Eat Mexican in The Misson! Everyone I spoke to told me to try a Burrito when I was in The Mission so I did! I stumbled upon a great find and ended up in a little place called Taqueria Cancun (2288 Mission St.) When I went into the restaurant there was only a small line up at the counter, but by the time I left the line up was out the door! And if the mountain of chopped onions was anything to go by, this place is popular! I ordered the 'Super Burrito' and a diet coke. I was given the biggest burrito I think I have ever seen, a plate of Chips and dip and my diet coke, all for under $10...trust me if there are 2 of you, SHARE!!! The burrito was so good, it was full to the brim with chicken, avocado, rice, beans, sour cream, salsa and cilantro (coriander.) When I was eating I over heard someone in the line up saying "This place does the best burrito in the city!" I think they were telling the truth...Go get a Super Burrito!

Try the sourdough bread bowl with clam chowder at Boudin! Also another stumbled upon find, I ended up in Boudin at Pier 39 (there are lots of them all over the city) and ordered the clam chowder in the sourdough bread bowl. Since then I have been craving the sourdough every single day! You can also get it filled with Chili, Chicken Pot Pie and some other soups.

No comments:

Post a Comment